What does autism acceptance really look like?
Written on 28th Mar 2016 by Sylvia Lowery
April is autism awareness month, however many are saying awareness isn’t enough they are calling for autism acceptance. What does this mean and what does is look like.
1. Acceptance means to receive someone into your community.
2. It means accepting someone without trying to change them.
3. It means to embrace someone.
4. It means to affirm someone.
5. It is to positively welcome.
6. It means to like someone.
7. It means you are ok as you are.
It does not mean
2. You are wrong
3. You are strange
4. You are faulty
5. You should change
6. If you can be more like me I will accept you.
7. I can laugh at you because you are different.
Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on this page are © Alex Lowery Speaks About Autism. Please do not reproduce, modify or use for any purpose without the prior, written consent of the author. If you are interested in using an article on your blog or in your magazine, please contact us.