Sylvia Lowery Autism Support
Written on 11th May 2017 by Sylvia Lowery
Contact mobile number :07508 380660
Website : http://sylvialoweryautismsupport.co.uk
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a mother to five children. I have home educated for twenty two years. My children have a number of additional needs which includes Autism, ADHD, Dyspraxia, Social Anxiety, Dyslexia, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Pots. Over the years I have needed advice and practical support from someone who understands.
I have decided to go into business offering to provide support through talks and training. I am also available to offer one to one support for families who need it. I am able to provide respite or educational support.
NNEB level 3 childcare qualification
BCAP Level 3 counselling qualification
Safeguarding training level 2
Food Hygiene level 2
DBS check within the last 12 months
I have studied Open University courses in :-
Promoting Public Health
- I worked as a Nursery Nurse supporting children with additional needs until 1995 when I had to give up work because my son Alex who is on the Autistic Spectrum needed me to look after him full time.
- I have since then home educated my five children up to GCSE level.
- I have also been a School Governor with special responsibility for SEN.
- I have been a Volunteer Youth Worker.
- I managed Alex’s home based ABA programme.
- I have managed Alex Lowery Speaks About Autism business for the last fours years. This has involved liaising with clients, giving quotes, planning travel arrangements, supporting Alex to get to his talks. I have also sent out press releases and managed social media.
- I arranged an Autism into Employment Conference in September 2015, this was very successful and helped raise awareness for the need to support adults on the spectrum into employment. This is something that Alex is passionate about.
- I have helped support the setting up of an Autism/ Neuro Diverse social group in North Wales.
- I have written a number of articles on Alex’s website www.alexlowery.co.uk. I have written articles for The Mighty and ASDdigest.
Talks I can deliver
- Raising children with additional needs – In this talk I share my journey as a mum who raised my children with additional needs while also coping with my husband who had a stroke in his left temporal lobe in 2010.
- My journey with Autism and ABA – I talk about my son Alex’s diagnosis and how I learnt to embrace and accept my son’s autism.
- How to avoid Autism parent burnout : I give tips on how to keep yourself mentally and physically well while also coping with some of the challenges that can come with raising a child on the spectrum.
- Technology and disability – I talk about the positive way in which technology can be used to help individuals with a disability live a more fulfilling life.
- Tips on how to teaching a child to recognise their emotions – In this workshop I will provide practical support on how to help a child to learn to manage their emotions.
- What I would do differently now that my children on the spectrum are older.
I am able to prepare talks and training on a number of subjects. Please get in touch if you have a subject you would like me to deal with.
Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on this page are © Alex Lowery Speaks About Autism. Please do not reproduce, modify or use for any purpose without the prior, written consent of the author. If you are interested in using an article on your blog or in your magazine, please contact us.