10 things you should never say to NT’s
Written on 9th Oct 2013 by Alex Lowery
Non autistic people get upset for reasons I can’t work out. Here are some examples that I have since learnt will cause upset. Here is a mini guide to avoid the pitfalls.
1. Look just because your rabbit has just died. It doesn’t make her the best rabbit in the world. Everyone thinks that about their pet.
2. That new haircut doesn’t suit you.
3. That DVD I got you was bought for my brother but he didn’t want it.
4. Just think you are nearer 50 than 40 now.
5. You’re starting to get a lot of grey hairs lately.
6. I hate the way you’ve dyed your hair.
7. You’ve put on a lot of weight recently.
8. Wow! You’ve got a lot of Acne!
9. I didn’t like the present you got me at all!
10. I can see that you’re starting to get wrinkles.
Autism mum asked her son what these meant. You can read his responses here.
Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on this page are © Alex Lowery Speaks About Autism. Please do not reproduce, modify or use for any purpose without the prior, written consent of the author. If you are interested in using an article on your blog or in your magazine, please contact us.